The Do-Anywhere Workout #1
Sometimes I can’t get to an actual gym while traveling or on vacation. Bodyweight circuits that require minimal space are ideal to get a sweat session in with no excuses! My head is filled with effective moves and sequences thanks to Women’s Health, Shape, BodyRock, BeachBody, numerous blogs and everything else I’ve tried over the years. I started putting my own combinations down on paper before a workout to make it as quick and efficient as possible.
I prefer circuit style workouts with short bursts of high intensity exercise and minimal rest in between. It’s easy to remember the sequence and you get the most bang for your sweaty buck 😉
Perform the following exercises for 45 seconds each with 10 seconds rest in between (I use the “Interval Timer” app on my iPhone). Repeat the entire circuit two more times.
- Burpee tuck jumps
- Staggered one legged push ups
- Squat jumps
- Side plank oblique crunches, left
- Side plank oblique crunches, right
1. Burpee tuck jumps
- Starting in a standing position, drop into a burpee (hands on floor, legs extended behind you) then explode up via a tuck jump.
- Harder? Add a push up at the bottom of your burpee
- Easier? Remove the tuck jump and explode into a straight jump or to a standing position
2. Staggered one legged push ups
- In a push up position, bring your left hand back toward your hip and your right hand up toward your shoulder. Stack your right foot on top of your left. Do a push-up then switch your hands and your feet for each subsequent push-up.
- Harder? Switch your hands simultaneously
- Easier? Don’t stack your feet
3. Squat jumps
- Starting in a standing position with feed wider than hips bend your knees and lower your hips to touch the floor with your finger tips. Explode up, reach to the ceiling then return immediately to squatting and touching the floor. Keep your back straight and core engaged!
- Harder? Jump higher and squat lower
- Easier? Don’t jump after squatting and/or don’t touch the floor
4. Side plank oblique crunches (left)
- Start in a side plank, right hand on floor. Extend your left arm overhead then bring your left elbow to meet your left knee. Concentrate on squeezing your obliques to minimize the space between your ribs and hips. Return to extended side plank.
- Harder? Don’t touch your foot to the floor between crunches
- Easier? Put your right elbow and/or right knee on the floor
5. Side plank oblique crunches (right)
- Repeat #4 on the opposite side.
Record your results and save to compare the next time. There’s no better motivation than progress! In the future I’ll try to get pics of each move. Sometimes written descriptions just don’t do it!
More sweat sessions to come 😀