Hello fellow chocoholics 😉
I had my first expedition to a US health food store a few months ago while traveling for work. We have some great HF stores in the Maritimes and even my local grocers carry some amazing natural/organic/vegan products, but there are a few little gems that I can’t seem to find anywhere in my city…
- Speculoos Cookie Butter, exclusive to Trader Joe’s
- Annie’s Goddess Dressing
- So Delicious Coconut Coffee Creamer
- PB & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams
I think I had DCD with a snack every single night.. in yogurt, on rice cakes, mixed with berries, nuts, granola, EVERYTHING! So you can imagine my disappointment when the jar was finally empty…
It doesn’t taste exactly like the real thing which is a bit sweeter and thicker but I’m sure it’s better for me in a health-sense. DCD is still pretty decent (all natural, no trans-fat) but I’m sure this homemade 4-ingredient recipe takes the health cake.
Lizzie & Co. Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter
- 2 cups peanuts
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp salt (if your peanuts are unsalted)
- In a food processor, process almonds until creamy and smooth, scraping the sides when necessary. This should take about 12-15 mins.
- While processing, use a double boiler to melt the chocolate and coconut oil. Be careful not to burn the chocolate or let any water into the chocolate mixture which will cause it to burn. You can melt it in the microwave as well but use short time intervals and stir to avoid burning.
- Add the chocolate mixture and salt to the nut butter and continue to process until fully combined. It will be hot and runny.
- Refrigerate and enjoy in a few hours!
One of the recipes said to allow the PB to come to room temperature before serving but I didn’t find it was always necessary. Plus I just eat it right out of the jar most of the time anyway 😉