Hello friends 🙂
Welcome to mid-summer! Hope you are all happily immersed in the warm weather and cool treats the season provides 🙂
I’ve been enjoying a lot of light, produce-rich meals, for the past couple of months which is a strong contrast to my hearty oatmeal, soups and stews during the winter. Early in the day I prefer raw fruit bowls, smoothies and salads but for dinner I prefer my veggies cooked.
On Friday nights the bf and I like to have “something good” as he says. We have a little more time to get creative with cooking but we still try to keep it on the healthy side for the most part. This past Friday turned into something inspired by of one of my favourite indulgent appetizers before becoming vegan… I always LOVED spud skins but didn’t often order them because I knew they were probably the worst thing on the menu. I’ve been meaning to recreate a healthier “Loaded Skins” recipe and wow… I will never feel a longing for regular old spud skins again!
Loaded Zucchini Boats
- 5 medium zucchini
- 1/2 pkg. Gardein Meatless Ground (or 1 cup black beans)*
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4-1/2 cup Daiya cheddar style shreds
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- salt/pepper to taste
- salsa & Tofutti sour cream for dipping
*The meatless grounds and beans are both optional. The difference is a meal or an appetizer.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°C
- Half each zucchini, scrape out the flesh and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan on medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until starting to brown (~5 min.)
- Add mushrooms, meatless crumbles, and zucchini flesh to the pan. Add spices and cook until mushrooms begin to soften and flavours combine (~10 min).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange zucchini halves in a row.
- Generously fill the skins with the mixture from the pan then top with tomatoes and cover in cheese shreds.
- Bake for ~20 min or until zucchini skins feel soft and cheese is melted.
This will serve 2-4, depending who you’re dining with. I ate my share for dinner and a late night snack. I think we know how long my dinner date’s lasted 😉