As promised in my last post…
The original recipe from my friend Amy was non-vegan and it was a huge hit with everyone. It only required a few simple substitutions to make it vegan but I also used whole wheat flour and brown sugar. I think the flour made for a less “fluffy” texture but it was still the softest, most delicious banana bread I’ve ever made 😉
Super Simple Banana Bread
Prep time: 10 min
Bake time: 60 min
Serves: 12 (depending on your slice thickness preference)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar or Sucanat
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 2 tsp egg replacer* + 4 tbsp water
- 1/3-1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F and generously grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking soda.
- Melt the Earth Balance in the microwave to about 30 seconds to make it easier to blend.
- In a blender, mix the Earth Balance, bananas, and egg-replacer on high until smooth.
- Pour the blended banana mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 55-60 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.**
- Try not to eat the whole loaf in just 2 days 😉
*The most popular brand of egg-replacer is Ener-G but I found the PaneRiso brand at the local grocery store. One box = 100 eggs for about $9! Score!
**For muffins, bake at 350 for about 30 min.