I’m not sure exactly what day, but some day around this time is my Attackiversary!
I’m excited about it because BODYATTACK™ is my absolute favorite Les Mills class and current favorite form of exercise. I am lucky to be a part of the Fredericton Attack Family and I truly believe this program changes lives.
First off, what is Body Attack and why would you ever want to attack your body?!
BODYATTACK™ is the sports-inspired cardio workout for building strength and stamina. This 55 minute high-energy interval training class combines athletic aerobic movements with strength and stabilization exercises. It’s all about improving your speed, fitness, strength and agility.
- Burn loads of calories (up to 735!)
- Tone and shape your body
- Raise your overall fitness and stamina for high energy sports
- Improve your coordination and agility
- Develop strength through core conditioning work
- Enhance your bone health and density
- Increase your heart and lung capacity through a full-body cardio workout
My first Attack experience was actually last spring when still living in Halifax. My friend Meag took me along and told me to be prepared for an extra challenging, sweaty workout. That it was! After moving to Fredericton last summer I didn’t join GoodLife Fitness until September. I wasn’t used to paying for a gym membership and liked to workout on my own time so I figured I’d continue with at-home workouts. When my bf moved back to school, I needed to get out of the house. I was sick of my living room and lacking motivation.
I started off with 2-3 Body Pump and 2 Spin classes a week but quickly realized I despise spin (no offence spin enthusiasts!) I don’t know why it took me so long but one evening in September, the class time fit my schedule, and I finally gave Attack another try.
At first I thought I was in the wrong class because we were doing this side flick kick thing that felt awfully dancey for a sports inspired workout. I considering leaving but stuck it out for a few more songs. Once we got into the lunge track, followed by the push-up track, I knew I was in the right place. Never have I ever done so many push-ups in 5 minutes!
I decided to rearrange my Group-Ex schedule to fit 2 classes per week. This was also around the time I started really focusing on my commitment to my health & fitness goals. Paired with the monthly challenges I talked about in my post, Getting There, Body Attack is what gave me the extra kick I needed to get to where I wanted to be. It was new and challenging everyday and the instructors were ridiculously motivating.
Some of the regulars in our Attack family have had major success through this program and I can assure you that Attack is for everyone.
Some personal reasons why I love the program:
- There are options for every fitness level. For example, you can do push ups on your toes, knees, or with knees under hips. You use your levels to get the most out of your workout. A low option doesn’t mean an easy option! You push yourself a little further each week and you will be surprised at what your body is capable of.
- It never gets easier; you just get better. There’s a new release every 3 months and after each one we all say, “this was the hardest one yet!”. Still, we keep coming back and we keep getting through.
- The group-ex atmosphere is motivation in itself. When I feel like I can’t kick any higher or even kick another kick, I take a look at the person next to me and see them still kicking. I’m not going to quit if they aren’t! The instructor is yelling things like “you’re NOT tired!” and the guy in the back let’s out a “WOOHOO” in the middle of the toughest track. Hell YES I will keep going!
Whether you’re a GoodLife member or not, I highly recommend you give this class a try! Any club will give you a free 3-day pass, good for the weights/cardio area and the group-ex classes. You will also get a tour of the facility and maybe even some free swag. Member are also encouraged to bring a friend (for free) to a new release class 🙂
Join the Attack nation and tell the world, “I don’t workout, I BODYATTACK™!” – Lisa T.
Are you a fan of group-ex classes?
Have you tried BODYATTACK™?