You are either making your way through the appetizer section of the VVP or you’ve just stumbled upon my post and are wondering, what in the world is this?? If its the latter, click here for more info about the VVP or click here to start from the beginning. Otherwise, feast on!
I decided to “bring” an appetizer that I posted back in August. I was having some technical difficulties at the time and this post didn’t get published correctly. It’s one of the best vegan dips I’ve had and I never felt it got the credit it deserves. I can shamelessly say that because I got this recipe from a neighbour 😉 For the story behind the recipe, check out the original post.
What better opportunity to share this delicious vegan dip than during the November 2013 Virtual Vegan Potluck! I am so excited to be taking part in such a huge event in the plant-based blogosphere. There are about 150 participants in total, including 22 in the appetizer section alone. I highly suggest you check out some other blogger contributions to the potluck.
Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Prep time: 20 min
Total time: 50 min
1. Dip base:
- 500 g package frozen (or canned) artichoke hearts
- 500 g package frozen spinach
- 1 1/2 heaping cup Daiya mozzarella style cheese
- Defrost all veggies.
- Chop artichokes into small pieces.
- Drain spinach very well by placing it into a round strainer and pressing down on it with a bowl that fits into the strainer.
2. Cashew cream sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews (be generous), soaked at least 1 hr
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mellow white miso
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Blend all cream sauce ingredients (except salt & pepper) in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth, then season with S&P to taste.
3. Breadcrumbs (optional):
- 2 large slices whole grain bread of choice, torn into pieces (use GF bread if you’re gluten free)
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until broken into crumbs.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine spinach, artichokes, and Daiya shreds in a large bowl.
- Add cashew cream sauce to the bowl and evenly distribute ingredients. Mixture should be nice and wet.
- Transfer ingredients to a casserole dish and bake for 20-30 min or until bubbly around the edges.
- Top with (optional) bread crumbs when nearly done and bake until crumbs are lightly browned.
- Serve with baked pita triangles and/or tortilla chips.
Now that you’ve added some of the best dip ever to your plate, make your way down the virtual table for the next delicious appetizer or turn around if you’re just getting started (or maybe looking for seconds ;)… )
In case you ran into any broken links along the way, here’s the list of participants (in order) to help you get back on track! You can also view the recipes from the May 2013 edition of the Virtual Vegan Potluck on Pinterest here; all pinned on one convenient board.
If you’d like to start from the beginning, here’s the link to the host page, Vegan Bloggers Unite!
Just make sure you save room for dessert! It’s only early 😉